Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Thinking Chair...


aka time out. I have 3 kids and I could pretty much tell you who will get in trouble and who wouldn't dare get in trouble outside of our home. I will say over the last year, I have had a few surprises. The Heiskell School utilizes the "thinking chair" as a short time out if needed. They also use the "crying chair" if some sad soul needs to cry for a few minutes. The premise is that if you are misbehaving or crying, you need to sit alone. It helps the kids shape up so they can rejoin the group. I think this is used until kindergarten or so. Grace, I am proud to say, went the whole school year last year without sitting in the thinking chair. I admit that I was surprised but very pleased.

I assume that Zach will sit in the thinking chair multiple times in one day. I almost have no doubt...he is 2 and he is strong...willed that is!

I also would have bet my life that Drew would NEVER even come close to sitting in the thinking chair. Especially the first week...After he got in the car on his first day he said, "I sort of had to sit in the thinking chair today." I laughed out loud...."You did what???" He began to explain to me the events leading up to the sitting and I laughed even harder. This story is much better in person as his speech is priceless on several of the words he said but I will try and do it justice. "Drew, why did you have to sit in the thinking chair?" "Because I didn't say pwesent when the teacher called my name." Oh, he must have been confused...he didn't know about saying present when roll is called. "Why didn't you say present when your name was called?" "I didn't feel like it." "Were you told to say present when your name was called?" "Yes, but I didn't want to." Alrighty then...maybe my perfect obedient child is going to throw me a curve ball this year. I explained to him that the respectful thing to do is to obey the adult even when it is hard. He seemed ok with my lecture....

Today resulted in Drew getting in the car and announcing that he said pwesent today and raised his hand. I guess he was testing the waters yesterday. It makes me laugh but I want to always emphasize the importance of ALWAYS respecting adults. If the truth be told and I wouldn't dare tell him this...I think asking a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds to say present is a bit strange to begin with!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drew! Who would have guessed? And "present" is a pretty silly thing to ask kids to say.