Monday, September 15, 2008

Kidney Stones and Labor

What is the difference between these 2 painful events? In labor, you can get an epidural the minute you can no longer bear the pain. Now, I am proud to say that I did not receive an epidural with any of my kids until I was like 5 or 6 cm dilated. In fact, Tim thought it was a waste of money for 2 of my deliveries as I had the epidural less than 2 hours before my babies were born. Anyway, I got the epidural when I could no longer tolerate the contractions rocking my body. With kidney stones, you only receive drugs once the doctor is pretty sure he/she knows what is wrong with you. I had the unfortunate privilege to experience this last Monday night...



I had had back pain for a few days but I have 3 kids so no big deal. By Monday night, I could not get comfortable in bed. I tossed and turned, got up, layed back down...I was miserable. I finally dozed off for about 30 minutes to be awkened by what seriously felt like back labor. I was in agony. I could hardly catch my breath. I woke Tim up and we began to assess the situation. After about an hour, I finally decided I needed drugs and we didn't have anything strong enough at home so we headed to Piedmont Hospital. It was a quick process and lucky for me, I passed the stone before they finally shot me up with narcotics. It was misery. I wish this on no one.

I had a procedure done yesterday and there is still one more stone to come but hopefully my narcotics in the medicine cabinet will be my saving grace. We shall see....

No comments: