Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Growing Pains...

I am finding that the older my kids get, the more I want to keep them young. Grace just seems so big this week and so grown up. She has only been to school 2 days thus far(she was already home sick today AAAGGHH) but she already seems bigger to me. Not in the physical sense, but her mind. While she was up last night sick as a dog, she was asking us the funniest questions. We were watching the Democratic Convention recaps and she was asking tons of questions about the president, etc. She knew who our current president is and where he lives. I am sitting there going how in the world do you know he lives in DC? I am certain we have never had those lessons....



I was talking to my mom tonight while I was out alone (nothing too exciting just to Publix) and I was complaining about this new phase in our life. The phase that will last a whole lot longer than the preschool years and I told her I didn't like it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy time alone. I have always appreciated time away. I enjoy my kids getting to go somewhere like school without me. I need that time away...they need that time away. However, it was so simple before we were in real school. She encouraged me to embrace this new phase and look for the new joys that are sure to come. I know this to be true but sometimes in the mud it is hard to see clearly. The truth is my kids are growing up and not that 6, 4, and 2 are ancient by any stretch but we are cruising through and Grace will never be home in the mornings with us unless it is a break from school. Then Drew will head on to full time school and then Zach...then I fall apart?! No, I am assured by many that have gone before me that I will survive just fine. So I am resigned to enjoy the chaos of today because it will only be a different kind of chaos tomorrow.

2 comments:

laurie said...

I will be with you in this next year! I can't believe Molly is almost 5. I think we are officially old and completely uncool.

Brandy Rowe said...

Wow Amy, I read this and I really miss you! Remember when we use to baby sit together, you taught me everything I know.I bet your kids are wonderful I hope that we can get together very soon!
Love
Brandy Atkinson Rowe